They say never grocery shop when you are hungry! I will go one step further and say if you are not comfortable experimenting in the kitchen, never go on Pinterest when you’re hungry or ill-stocked. This Creamy Italian Sausage Soup With Cheese Tortellini happened all because I ended up on Pinterest and got inspired by 3 recipes and then fell into the Pinterest rabbit hole and couldn’t remember where I found what!
There is something about Italian Sausage and tortellini that makes my heart skip a beat. Though not as helpful when I’m in high-protein training diet mode but in this instance, I added some spinach to help with adding protein! This Italian Sausage soup meal is perfect for cheat days or those busy weekday nights! Did I mention the kids like it?
Busy Day? Try This Easy Italian Sausage Tortellini Soup!
- 1 carton (32 ounce) low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 package (9-ounce) refrigerated cheese-filled tortellini
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- salt and pepper
- red pepper flakes, optional
- chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 pound ground Italian Sausage
- 1/2 cup diced onion (about 1/2 medium-sized onion)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1-28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 cups packed fresh spinach
1. Heat a large, heavy bottomed pan over medium-high heat. Heat vegetable oil and add diced onion. Saute until onions are soft.
2. Crumble Italian Sausage and garlic with the onion. Cook until sausage is no longer pink.
3. Stir in crushed tomatoes, chicken broth, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, add cream and cover. Let soup simmer for 20-30 minutes.
4. Add tortellini and spinach and simmer for about ten minutes, until pasta is tender.
5. Ladle into bowls and sprinkle with some fresh parsley.
Pro Tip: Add a small amount of ketchup!
I paired this easy Italian Sausage soup with some a Cheddar & Onion Baguette! You can toast them with a bit of garlic oil and top with parmesan for an extra treat!
Looking for more soup ideas? Try out Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe!
For more Pinterest Recipe Inspiration, feel free to check out my Recipe Inspo Pinterest Board. Warning: You may leave inspired and hungry! Or to follow to find all my own recipes on Pinterest, check out my board Recipe Inspo Pinterest Board
Tempted? Pin It For Later
Need more lunch ideas? Check out our Ground Pork Stir Fry Recipe